Beef macreuse with Gin Ipa
INGREDIENTS FOR 2 PEOPLE:
- 2x pieces of scoter, 250g each
- 1L veal stock
- Q.S celery
- Q.S onion
- Q.S carrot
- 3-4 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Beer GIN IPA Amiral
- Q.S Butter
- 3x packets parsnips
- 1 vanilla pod
- Q.S Canola Oil
- 2 or 3x packets mushrooms (paris/portobello, etc.)
- Q.S Red Wine Vinegar
- French shallot
- Liquid smoke
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- Q.S milk
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Season scoter pieces. In a hot skillet with canola oil, sear meat until nicely browned on all sides. Place in an ovenproof pot. Deglaze pan with GIN IPA and pour liquid into pot.
- Chop 1 onion, 2 celery stalks and 2 carrots and add to the pot. Add 2 bay leaves, 2-3 thyme sprigs and 2 garlic cloves. Add the veal stock to cover the meat with liquid. Pour the remaining beer into the pot.
- Place in the oven for 3 to 4 hours, or until the meat falls apart. Allow to rest.
- Remove the meat from the liquid, then strain the stock to recover only the liquid. Reduce over very high heat until the cooking juices have a coating consistency, reducing by at least 3/4.
- Peel parsnips. Keep 4-5 aside for chips. Chop the rest and place in a pot. Cover with half water/half milk. Add the vanilla beans and pod to the pot. Cook, covered, until the parsnips are cooked. Strain parsnips, reserving liquid. Process parsnips in a food processor, adding butter, salt and a little cooking liquid to obtain a purée.
- Heat oil in a pot to 350F. Peel the remaining parsnips with a vegetable peeler. Fry in oil. Season with salt at the very end.
- Cut mushrooms into quarters. Chop shallots and chives. Place mushrooms in a hot frying pan with oil and butter. Add 2-3 sprigs of thyme and 2 cloves of garlic. Brown the mushrooms well. Add the shallot to the mushrooms and sweat quickly. Deglaze with 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar. Finish with the liquid smoke, adding in small quantities or until the desired degree of smoke is reached. Add the chives last.
- Place a spoonful of purée on a plate, top with mushrooms and scoter. Pour the demi-glace over the meat and finish with the parsnip chips!
Prepared by none other than @marcochefadomicile
@benoitgagnon licks his fingers!